We make grants to local groups/organizations in Kabale Municipality. Our aim is to build the Capacity and strengthen community Groups/organizations including Youth and women's groups, human rights Associations and other Community-based Organizations. By doing so, we hope to empower these groups to play a big role in sustainable development, poverty alleviation, and citizen participation.
KMDF grants are awarded through an open competitive process, but we also take a proactive approach in initiating projects and inviting applications through a close call and in accordance with our strategic objectives. All funding decisions are approved by our board of Directors.
We provide small grants but which make a big impact on communities. Our grants up to an amount of US $5,000 (although most grants are in the range of US $500–$1,000) to establish community groups/organizations, Associations, and networks.
Prospective grantees must demonstrate the following in their applications:
- Evidence of registration as a Community based organizations
- Evidence of understanding of understanding the Community and its needs in which they operate
- Evidence of mobilizing contributions from a variety of local sources in the community in which the organization is based and beyond, and has effective structures for self-governance.
- Commitment to progressive social change
- Evidence and recognition of the role of community action in building a vibrant civil society, strengthening democratic culture and addressing issues of poverty, exclusion, and marginalization.
- Community support
- Evidence of support from its defined community including broad representation in the governance structure
- Capacity for growth and prosperity
- Evidence of a clearly defined and broadly understood organizational mission and willingness to invest in critical systems and infrastructure in order for the group/organization to grow.
- Ability and willingness to share resources including information with others.
We provide grants and technical support to community groups/organizations in the following Communities of Kabale Municipality-Karubanda, Mwanjari, Kirigime, Rushaki, Butobere, Kigongi, Central, Nyabikoni, Rutoma, Kijuguta, Lower Bugongi and upper Bugongi. Priority will be given to those groups/organizations with limited access to funding opportunities or groups/organizations that are often too small for big donors to reach. Applications from community groups/organizations representing disadvantaged communities in the Municipality like youth, women, people with disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDs among others are given priority.